Search This Blog

Monday, August 2, 2010

Why Do I Want an MBA?

After rereading my last post, I realized that I did not explain why I wanted an MBA degree, especially since I am in graduate school. First, let me discuss my academic background.

When I first entered college, I was a biology major. I was successful in the academics (4.0 GPA), but after completing an internship in the field my freshman year, I realized that a career in the sciences was not right for me; it lacked extensive creativity. After completing this internship, I began my first self-analysis of what made me happy (but, now looking in retrospect, I did not spend enough time on this task), and decided to pursue graphic design and advertising. I finished with a B.S. in Media Studies with Certificates in the Honors College, Writing and Advertising. From that point, and when reviewing my career goals, I realized I needed to pursue MBA and MFA degrees. But, I also knew I needed more experience within my field of advertising and marketing as well as the opportunities to show initiative and my managerial capabilities within the professional setting. So, I decided to pursue a M.A. in Communication and Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit Organization Leadership and Management while occupying the role of Marketing and Assessment Graduate Assistant in the Office of Admissions. Also, being a mother of twin boys, I knew that pursuing an MA while working will show the Adcom that I am mature and can handle the rigor of a prestigious program.

Why I want an MBA?
Overall, I would like to be a serial entrepreneur with a final career of being a Dean of a Art + Business Hybrid Program. I am very much an artist and an advocate for art education and careers in art. Therefore, all of my careers have to do with this passion. My short-term career goals consist of starting  my non-profit, Artfessionals Institute, and for-profit, New Pencils Magazine.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The purpose of the "Artfessionals Institute" is to train young aspiring artists from disadvantaged communities, and to provide resources to K-12 art classrooms. Many schools within low-income communities have eliminated art from the curriculum, ultimately, not providing students with a well-rounded education. Also, students that have a passion for art are deterred from following their desired career path because a career in art has been defined by society as a “deadbeat career.” “Artfessional Institute” will be the combating strategy against these accepted norms, and will include the principles of leadership, entrepreneurship and sustainability within the curriculum.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My long-term goals consist of becoming the principal of my own graphic design firm, starting/curating a graphic design art gallery, university teaching in entrepreneurship and graphic design and committing myself to a one to two year research/artistic world tour to learn about international design and how they differ (potential for Fulbright). And, my fall back plan is to work as a creative marketer while developing my ventures to be self-standing.

I believe that entering a full-time MBA program immediately following the obtainment of another degree is the correct decision because the knowledge, technical abilities and network that I would gain from an MBA would benefit in my career progression and short-term career goals. Ultimately, a MBA would make me a more efficient serial entrepreneur, manager and business/art educator. Although my ideas and passions align with influential business leaders and philanthropists, I currently lack the skills and social network to turn these ideas into fruition; an MBA degree would assist in this.

In the next posts, I will discuss the guidelines set forth by Chicago Booth and Stanford GSB for early career applicants and how these requirements can be transferred to applications to other universities.

No comments:

Post a Comment